Wednesday, March 5, 2008

More China News

Tuesday, March 4 -- Big day yesterday! We met with English classes, showed a short video of Nativity and provided lots of time in small groups for the Chinese kids to talk with our kids. They want as much time as possible to practice their English. The sessions went very well. We ended each class showing the Beyersdorfer / McClain movie from the Lasagna Film Festival. It received rave reviews form the Chinese kids! The "Friendship Festival between Long Cheng and Nativity" took place in the afternoon. Ours students sang (School Song and Suscipe) and danced (Square and Chicken), Sam on the harmonica, Adam juggling, Erik "hop hopping" for an audience of over 2000. The neighboring primary school was there as were officials from the local ministry of education. It took 30 minutes for the students / audience to assemble - all outside on a beautiful early spring afternoon. Our performance was very well received. We were followed by several Chinese acts - all very well done. Your sons/daughters are celebrities - Chinese students asking for autographs and e-mail addresses - and they are handling it very well. You would be proud of them! We have been interviewed by the press (with color photos on the front page) and by the TV stations. After the assembly we walked to a restaurant - the long way along the river. The dinner was hosted by the local Ministry of Education. Great food, great conversation. At the end the host families came to get their guest and headed home. Today (it's 9:15 a.m.) more sessions with English classes and "the games begin" this afternoon. Both Chinese and American students are eager to play basketball, volleyball and soccer. It looks like they will be scheduled over the next several days. At the 15 minute break between each period/class, there have been pick up basketball games. Among the Americans there is great interest in the result of the primaries in Ohio and Texas - no news yet on CNN web page. In conversation with Chinese adults there is some interest also though one person said, "It is your election and we respect your choice. It is not our business." One of the teachers said that "the circle keeps getting bigger" - as word about the American delegation gets out more Chinese people are asking about the experience; for example, my host father is a cardiac surgeon. I met with his group of cardiac surgeons from the hospital last night to talk about all kinds of things - and to learn a Chinese poker game. No homesickness. It's going to be tough to leave. Time to head off to class. Wednesday, March 5 So far in China I have had some chicken feet and other crazy different foods. their school is huge, 2000 students in a 5 story school. Everyday so far we have been treated like celebrities. Michael K. The weather here is wonderful. I've done so many things already in the very short t;i;me I've been here. I've gone strawberry picking, took a tour of the school and toured a temple in an amazing park. Rian J. I've learned it's hard to learn speak Chinese. I also learned that people in China are very interested in American culture. Rachel S. China i s wonderful place. It is very busy and crowded, but very interesting. I ma having a wonderful time in Luszhou and hope that I can come back here when I'm older. Lynn V. The trip so far in Luzhou has been a blast. Even though my host family makes me eat a lot, they are very nice family and they're very caring. I would recommend coming here again. Erik E. So far, I like China and am glad that I am here. Liuzhou is a great city and I believe everything will get better. Brian D. China has been very fun. the people have been so welcoming and my host family is great. I am really looking forward to the rest of the trip. Katie D. My trip to Liuzhou has been a lot of fun so far. The people here are so warm and welcoming, especially at the school. I am enjoying myself greatly. Amanda S. I'm loving China, everyone here love us. We're being treated like rock starts. We are singing autographs and taking news interviews. I'm on the font page of 2 papers. The only problem is not a log of people speak good English. Jake C. I'm really enjoying my stay in China. My host family is very welcoming and Liuzhou is a very beautiful city. Alesix K. It is very fun in China even though it is culturally different. I have learned a lot by being here about myself and other people. Kirshane E. My trip to China has been perfect so far. My host family has been extremely generous. It is great to be in China meeting and making new friends Adam B. China is amazing. the people are very hospitable and kind. This is an amazing experience. Sam E. There is a way (dao) about this place that is enchanting, and a bit daunting at times. But, the expanse of being in a foreign land and being surrounded by unfamiliar things is easily overcome by the sound of laughter: this is my first lesson in Chinese. Andy Nancy, please share with staff and forward to anyone I forgot to include. Thanks. Nativity colleagues: Andy was the master of ceremonies for our cultural show, introducing each act. You should have seem him. Over 2000 people, many of whom do not speak Chinese, most who don't speak it very well - and he had them all in the palm of his hand!

No comments: